Sail with us in February 2020! February is a perfect month to visit the Dominican Republic. Carnival every sunday, best weather and affordable flights to several airports. There are a lot of beautiful anchorages and some marinas in the south of the the Dominican Republic. A good coast for sailing, snorkeling, visiting the countryside, relaxing and enjoying.
Southcoast (best sailing) *anchorages and *marinas
- Barahona: harbour, well protected and easy to visit. Excursion to Lago Enriquillo, possible (wildlife, crocodiles). Snorkeling nearby.
- Palmar de Ocoa: beautiful anchorage.
- Salinas: beautiful anchorage and clear water. Salt Lake, Nightlife.
- Puerto Palenque: wonderful stop and a great anchorage at daytime
- Marina Zarpar: excellent facilities, near airport and Santo Domingo.
- Rio Cumayasa: remote river, anchorage.
- Casa de Campo: marina, excellent facilities
- Bayahipe: large bay, anchorage
- Isla Saona: excellent anchorage and snorkeling, national park.
Eastcoast (ambitious sailing) *anchorages and *marinas
- Boco de Yuma: anchorage
- Cap Cana Marina
- Samana Bay: numerous anchorages, national park. Whale watching (humpback wales, Buckelwale) is possible there in February.
#Snorkeling Places (see map)
There a three international airports with flights from Europe. Daytime wind is mostly trade winds from the East, after sunset there often is a light “katabatic” wind from North, allowing to sail the coast in light winds at night. Nautical information: noonsite.com and carybia.com. Literature: Virgintino, Frank. A Cruising Guide to the Dominican Republic. LiberWriter.com.
Sailing Time Schedule
- Week: Feb. 8th – Feb. 14th
- Week: Feb. 15th – Feb. 21th
Combinations of sailing weeks are possible. Starting point week 1 is Marina Zarpar near airport Santo Domingo and end point week 2 is Casa de Campo. Other starting or end points of trips will be arranged according to requests of sailing guests and Orinoco’s time schedule.